Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A butterfly emerges from his Chrysalis


Eric and I had our year-end soccer celebration and the Frisk Family hosted the party. They showed me a chrysalis - the butterfly would emerge in the next few days. Although late in the season, they found the tiny larva, but not sure if it would survive the cold temperatures. A few days later, they called to tell me that the chrysalis had turned translucent which means the butterfly would emerge at any time. Alex and I went to see it. Later in the day they called again to tell me he had emerged. (actually it might be a female, I can't remember how you tell). Alex was in school, but I went down to see it. I was expecting the butterfly to be flying about and scared, not so at all. Actually the butterfly sat on my finger as if I were his Mother. I asked if I could take it to Alex's classroom before releasing him. The Kindergarten class just learned about the life cycle of a butterfly and I thought this would be neat. The butterfly sat on my finger the entire ride there and back at which time I set him free! Very cool experience.

No comments: