Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lives Transformed – A bit of history! Late 50's



This is my Mom with some of her siblings. She gave me this photo while I was home last week so I could make copies for our family. If you haven’t figured it out by now, I am the family photo “go to” gal! I’m glad I’m needed for something! There are no dates on any of my Grandma’s photos. Do you date your photos? I encourage you to. 70 years from now your Grandchildren are going to spend hours trying to figure out who is who! I actually have my digital prints ordered with the file name and date printed on the back and then put them in albums in chronological order. See, and you wonder what it is I do in my spare time, there’s a clue! (Along with having hard copies I have them burned to cds, uploaded to digital websites, and dragged to an external drive – okay, so it’s more like an obsession maybe).

Sorry, sorry…..this wasn’t about me and my photo organizational advice.

First, the original photo is of poor quality, hence this is too. I will work on that, but as I looked at the photo I couldn’t help but look at these happy little kids and think about where they are today.

(back row from left to right) My Dear Sweet Aunt Theda! I loved her so desperately as a child. Very unfortunate our entire family went thru a major transition about 10 years ago and she and I were just caught in the line of fire. We had nothing to do with the situation, but it really divided everyone. Sad story for another time. It always broke my heart and about three years ago God kept whispering to me to make contact with my Aunt. I was busy and I kept pushing it on the back burner. He persisted! I sat down, sent her a note telling her how much I loved her and included a picture of my children. A week later I got a phone call that she had died at home! My first question was of course “Did she get my letter?” My Grandmother told me she had and it meant so much to her. I regret the years lost, but I think about her often and I know I’ll see her again in Heaven. I will often times look in the clouds for a sign from her. Is that strange? Have you ever done that? Her and Nicholas. I always look for a sign, or to see their face in the clouds!

I didn’t mean to get that detailed, but it was nice to just sit and think about My Aunt T for a bit!

(back row center) MY MOMMY! Isn’t she so cute! (I’m not even putting a question mark on the end of that, she is so cute)! I love my Mom, she’s such a warm, sweet woman! I just truly truly love her! She is the kind of person that simply defines goodness! She’s honest, caring, giving, empathetic, nurturing. We didn’t even have a bible in our house growing up. My parents didn’t know much about God, but it seems as thought she lived by all the rules I read about now. I didn’t always know it, but I was one lucky kid having a Mom like her!

(back row last) My Aunt Marlene. WOW, this picture really hit me! You see, my Grandparents house burned down around the time this photo was taken and my Aunt lost both of her legs in the fire. I have never seen a photograph of my Aunt standing on her own two feet. She’s wearing shorts or a skirt, so I can even see her beautiful legs. It breaks my heart. She had a very difficult time. She spent several years in and out of the Hospital, and even got a visit from Michael Landon, you know, the Michael Landon from Little House on the Prairie! He was so touched by her story that he came to meet her. This was big news when we were kids, that was one of our favorite shows! Happy Ending, my Aunt married a WONDERFUL man, my Uncle Richard, had a Son and now has several Grandchildren. She has lived a pretty good life considering all things! She’s still just as beautiful too!

(front row left to right) My Aunt Deb. I have wonderful fond memories of my Aunt Debbie when I was a child. Unfortunately, we didn’t maintain a relationship during my young adult hood. Sometimes it’s just a case of “Life Interrupted”!

(front row right) My Uncle Billy! How I love my Uncle Billy! I just saw him last weekend at my Niece’s Graduation Party! So much I could say about him! He’s a wonderful sweet man and I have great memories of him as a child. Every time I see him I say “Well you are just as handsome as ever!” It sounds so fake, but I honestly mean it. The man hasn’t aged a bit and whenever I see him I can’t believe how great he looks! He was in a terrible accident about 10 years ago and had a heart attack just a few years back, and yet “He’s as handsome as ever”!

There are two people missing from the picture, My Aunt Yvonne and Uncle Lewie! Both of whom I see about once a year and love tremendously!

Half way thru this entry, I thought “Why am I writing this, why would you care?” but you know writing is not only therapeutic, but also a wonderful way to preserve memories and I’m glad I took the time to do just that!

Love, Emily

No comments: