So anyway, yesterday we had my Grandmother's second family reunion. It was the 100th year reunion and they are making it the last one. The younger generations just haven't carried it on well and the attendance has been poor. It's held each year at my Aunt Gloria's pond and it was a beautiful day.
Afterward we went to my Brother's house for a visit, they have the cutest little new puppy...
I got a lot of slack from my Older Brother Russell (I have five Brother's including Nicholas) because I wouldn't let Alex spend the night there. I'm a psycho when it comes to my children and I don't let them go to far from me. We grew up in the Country (and honestly I'm not sure how we survived we were crazy)! My Brother's kids are the same. While I was holding tight to my 6 year old Son, my Brother's kids were flying around on a 4 wheeler totally fearless. He gave me a speech on how I should relax and I resisted the temptation to tell him that he could more careful :)! Different worlds, that's all!
I actually almost caved and let him stay, but they were going to the Zoo in Rochester today and I finally decided it was a definite no go when I realized that there wasn't enough room in the van for Alex.
We'll just squeeze him in the back, said my Brother! Hello, has he met me??? No my Son isn't riding 200 miles illegally seated in your van to go to the Zoo!
Out of all of my siblings I would say that Russell and I are the most different. Deeply love one another, always there to lend a hand, forever got your back sibling love, but sooooo different! We have a wonderful "talk on the phone almost every day" kind of relationship, but when it comes to raising our children, we are on different ends of the atmosphere!
Of course, Alex had a blast being there because he was doing all kinds of things he doesn't normally get to do. We are more "sports" oriented. Our boys play soccer, basketball, and baseball, while most of my family live deep in the country near ponds. They hunt, fish, ride ATV's, camp, etc. I was happy to let Alex join in the fun under my supervision. Call me an over bearing Mother, but that's how it rolls here in the Rowe Family :)! Nicholas died from a riding lawnmower - so it's not a stretch for me to see the danger in something like a 4-wheeler! I think these things are fine if they are used responsibly at the right age, with appropriate readiness, that's where my opinions begin to differ from my Brother's. He's more of a "throw um on and let them go" kind of guy.
Speaking of Nicholas, here is the Daisy I planted for him (It's really a Becky Leucanthemum) but I won't remember how to say or spell that, so we're gonna call it a daisy.
This is taken from my kitchen window, see how I get to look at it all the time! Also, Nicholas always loved to swing and so when ever I look out the window and the wind is swaying the swings I smile and think of him.
Finally, we have three baby caterpillars now. We had to go out today to get them fresh milkweed leaves. I'm more excited than the boys, but I think when they see the caterpillars getting bigger and watch the metamorphose they'll get more interested.
Peace to you! Emily




No comments:
Post a Comment